Tuesday, March 9, 2010

St. Baldrick's Day

This Saturday my 11 year old daughter, Tink, is shaving her head in solidarity with children who have cancer and typically lose their hair during treatment, while raising critical funds for childhood cancer research!

I was telling her about a boy at our church who was doing this and she knew the moment I told her that she had to do it too. At first, I tried to talk her out of it! I didn't want my little girl to be bald! But after listening to her heart...we couldn't say no.

Tink had a friend when they were younger and when we had lived away from here he died of cancer. It really touched her. We had been praying for him every night and then he had started to get better it seemed. Then we found out that he wasn't doing well at all. Olivia prayed so hard for her friend. Then we found out he had gone to be with Jesus. God healed him, by taking him home. This is a hard lesson for a little girl to understand.

So when she heard about what St. Baldrick's does, she immediately brought up her friend that had died and said she wanted to help so that no more kids will die.

She has such a huge heart and God lays big things on her heart! She has been raising money and is already over $1700!! People have just been amazing in their outporing of love and support!

Before any of this came about, I heard the story about a little girl named Layla Grace on Rufflebutts. Layla Grace is 2.5 and was diagnosed with neuroblastoma. She passed away today. This makes this whole thing so much more real to me. While it may be hard for me to let my little girl shave her head...at least it will grow back. How hard must it be for Mom's whose little girls lose their hair because of cancer treatment. How hard must it be for Mom's whose little girls hair never grows back.

One in five kids who have cancer will die.

I am so proud of my little girl for her great big heart and for doing what God has called her to do.

If you would like to donate: http://www.stbaldricks.org/participants/mypage/participantid/387838

1 comment:

JCsings4Him said...

I'll bet she is even more beautiful than before. What a selfless act for such a young one. You have wonderful kids, Heather.