Monday, January 10, 2011

The Journey Begins...

My goals for 2011; 1. Spend more time in God's word. 2. Serve others more. 3. Lose 20lbs. So, more of God, more of others, and LESS of me!!

Last week at church, our Pastor challenged us to spend MORE time in God's word!! I will fully admit that I have been severely failing in this area. So I decided I am going to take that challenge! I decided I will read my Bible before I do anything else for myself in the morning. No computer time until I read the Bible. It went great for a week! I was doing Our Daily Bread, and some extra reading. Then this Sunday, our Pastor mentioned a program where you read the Bible in 90 days. 90 days?!?!? Are you serious?! I have tried numerous times to do the Bible in 1 year programs and I always end up not finishing, not even close, I never make it to the New Testament! I am intrigued!

So I did some research today and while I still think it's going to be a struggle to get through the Old Testament parts that I have read numerous times, I think this plan is a great idea!! 365 days is a big commitment! You never know what life has for you! But 90 days? I can do 90 days!! My Pastor said, "Which sounds better? A diet that will last 365 days, or a diet that will last 90 days?" I am so IN!!!

Starting today...I am doing the 90 day challenge!!

Also, this week our Pastor challenged us to memorize God's word. UGH!!! It's not just about reading the Bible in a certain amount of time...it's about GOD'S WORD!!! He said the biggest excuse people use is, "I have a bad memory". Yup, that would be me! My 8 year old daughter, Princess, was asked to go up on the platform on Sunday and recite Romans 8:38-39 For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Amazing!! Tink taught it to her on Friday, she also taught her 3 other versus on the way to church on Sunday! My girls are amazing!! The way they memorize their JBQ questions amazes me!! These are MY children!! I need to stop making up excuses and just do it!

So, it may take me a little longer, but I am going to start memorizing God's word!! Of course I do know a lot already that I purposely memorized...but why not more?! How can I know how to walk with the Lord if I don't know His word? How will I depend on His word when I am in the dark if I don't have it in my heart? When someone asks me to pray for them, I don't want to pray flowery words or on my own authority...I want to pray God's word into them...the breath of life!!

Lord, help me! Help me to stick to this reading plan! I have read many unimportant books from cover to cover. Help me to love every page of your word! Help me to make this important above any time wasters in my life! Help me to witness to others through this. Also, please help me to memorize Your word! Amen!

My first verse: I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you. Psalm 119:11

The Journey begins...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Heather, what an awesome goal! God will answer this prayer for help. I have been challenged to memorize the book of James and some friends are sharing in that challenge. You can get more info on my blog.
Many blessings!

Heather @ Marine Corps Nomads said...

You can totally do the Bible in 90 Days! Munchkin and I did it last year. It wasn't easy, but you CAN do it. Don't forget about the audio versions of the Bible that are available. You can listen to the Word while you cook, fold laundry... Maybe you could even get the kids involved.

Wishing you the best as you begin this journey!!!!